We use cookies to make your experience of our website better. Please read our cookies policy to find out more. If you continue to use our site, we will assume that you consent to our use of cookies.
Cunninghame Properties - Property Management & Residential Letting Agents On Facebook Cunninghame Properties - Property Management & Residential Letting Agents On Twitter

01294 461911

 

Do You Have CO2 Detectors?

Tuesday, 29th December, 2015

A landlord has been fined after a family of five suffered carbon monoxide poisoning at their rented home after turning on the heating.

The Health & Safety Executive, prosecuting, told the court that the casing for the boiler was not in place as it had been removed to relight the boiler when the ignition button was working.

The tenants were not aware of the risks created by leaving the case off.

Later that evening five residents fell ill and were taken to hospital with carbon monoxide poisoning. 

The Landlord admitted to breaching Regulations 36(2)(a) and 36(3)(a) of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998, and was fined 2,360. The full costs of 1,532 were awarded to the HSE.

"It is important that domestic landlords understand and meet their legal obligations to ensure that gas appliances in their tenanted properties are checked for safety annually and regularly serviced by a Gas Safe registered engineer. This case demonstrates that where this is not undertaken that tenant can be exposed to the products of combustion including carbon monoxide which is most serious cases can result in death," said a spokesman for the HSE.

Do you have a carbon monoxide detector fitted in your property? Under new legislation it is now mandatory and a legal requirement. 




SEARCH

Our Accreditations
True