We use cookies to make your experience of our website better. Please read our cookies policy to find out more. If you continue to use our site, we will assume that you consent to our use of cookies.
Cunninghame Properties - Property Management & Residential Letting Agents On Facebook Cunninghame Properties - Property Management & Residential Letting Agents On Twitter

01294 461911

 

Gas Safety

Tuesday, 22nd December, 2015

Helping You Stay Safe

All gas appliances need an adequate air supply to operate safely and must have a flue to remove the waste gasses from the property.

Make sure air vents in doors, windows or walls are not blocked and that the flue from the fire or boiler does not become blocked or obstructed.

Important Safety Checks

NEVER

  • Use a gas appliance if you think it is not working properly
  • Cover an appliance or block the convection air vents
  • Block or obstruct any fixed ventilation grills, are bricks or outside flues.

WARNING SIGNS

Your gas appliance may not be working properly if you notice:

  • Yellow or orange coloured flames (except in fuel-effect fires)
  • Sooty stains or scorch marks on or around gas appliances
  • A pilot light that frequently blows out.

Help Guard Against Carbon Monoxide - "The Silent Killer"

You can't see it, smell it or taste it, but carbon monoxide gas can kill or seriously injure in just a matter of hours. In the home environment, carbon monoxide has can be produced by faulty gas appliances, so please be aware of the following risks:

  • Your gas appliances has not been properly installed.
  • The gas appliance is not working properly or has developed a combustion fault
  • Your gas appliance has not been regularly maintained by a Gas Safe registered engineer.

OTHER RISKS CAN INCLUDE:

  • Not enough fresh air in the room
  • Blocked chimney or flue
  • Sleeping in a room that has a gas appliance, such as a conventional gas fire, which is not room sealed.

If you suspect carbon monoxide leakage, call a Gas Safe registered installer to investigate and make repairs.

Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning can often be mistaken for flu or food poisoning and may include all or any of the following:

  • Recurring headaches
  • Nausea, sickness or stomach pains
  • Dizziness
  • Tiredness or drowsiness
  • Chest pains
  • Visual problems.

Symptoms may come and go, for example, improving when you are away from home or the faulty appliance is switched off. If you suffer from any of these symptoms, seek medical advice and ask if carbon monoxide may be the cause.

For further information and advice on the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning, please visit www.co-bealarmed.co.uk.

Gas Emergencies

If you smell gas, or suspect there is a gas escape, you should immediately open all doors and windows and shut off the gas supply at the meter control valve.

Call the 24 hour Gas Emergency Number 0800 111 999. Do not use naked flames or light switches.





SEARCH

Our Accreditations
True