We use cookies to make your experience of our website better. Please read our cookies policy to find out more. If you continue to use our site, we will assume that you consent to our use of cookies.
Cunninghame Properties - Property Management & Residential Letting Agents On Facebook Cunninghame Properties - Property Management & Residential Letting Agents On Twitter

01294 461911


Gas Safety

Monday, 18th November, 2013

A Derbyshire landlord has been handed a suspended prison sentence for failing to maintain a faulty gas boiler that caused the death of a tenant from carbon monoxide poisoning.


Dr Victoria Martindale, 39, was sentenced at Derby Crown Court for breaches of gas safety laws after she failed to arrange gas safety checks to be carried out at the property in Stanley Common, near Ilkeston, over a four year period.


She was given a 16-month suspended sentence, handed a fine of 4,000 plus costs of 17,500 and ordered to complete 200 hours of community service.


Stephen Newton, 51, was found dead in the property on 29th of December 2009. His partner and neighbour also became ill due to carbon monoxide (CO) fumes but both recovered.


Dr Martindale was prosecuted following an investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE).


We highlight this situation only to draw to the attention of all landlords our advice - that carbon monoxide detectors should be supplied and fitted in every property.


Our Accreditations